If you love weddings – and let’s face it, in their heart of hearts, who doesn’t? – there’s nothing like a nice wedding movie to fill up a quiet weekday evening, especially if you’re spending a lot of time and energy planning a wedding of your own. Break out the popcorn, because we’re about to give you a list of the five top wedding movies you won’t want to miss!
1. 4 Weddings and a Funeral: How much funnier can you get than this movie? The opening scenes alone are enough to make grown men cry with laughter, and the rest of the film has long rendered it a comedy classic. Interlaced with moments of real humanity and poignancy, this film will have you laughing – and crying – all the way through. The characters are real and the storyline will touch your heart – and, of course, it’s the first starring role for the swoon-worthy Hugh Grant, too!
2. The Wedding Singer: Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore make the silver screen come to life with their romantic antics in this gorgeously sweet comedy about love in the eighties! Set in 1985, the story follows the falling in love of Robbie Hart – the wedding singer – and Julia – a waitress – who are both initially engaged to the wrong people. Possibly one of Sandler’s finest career moments, this movie is bound to become a favorite and a resident in your DVD or Blu-ray collection.
3. Father of the Bride: Who could forget this absolutely awesome classic? A very fine remake of the 1950’s original, this movie stars Steve Martin in an endearing and captivating role as the father of a bride-to-be (played by Kimberly Williams). His wife Nina, played by the ever-stunning Diane Keaton, is the perfect sidekick, and of course, who could forget the flamboyant Franck – the wedding planner – as he rushes around installing geese on the lawn? … Unmissable!
4. My Big Fat Greek Wedding: This movie is one of the sweetest wedding flicks ever made. It’s not sensationalist or bold in the classic Hollywood sense; it’s simply the following of a couple as they fall in love and start planning their wedding. Of course, that doesn’t mean there’s no drama. It’s quite the opposite, as it’s full of real down-to-earth comedy as the bride’s Greek family attempts to mesh with the groom’s middle class white American family. The laughs are huge and the film worth every second spent watching it!
5. The Princess Bride: It’s impossible not to put this utter classic on the list of wedding movies; it’s just simply one of the most fun romantic comedies ever made! Follow Westley (played by Cary Elwes) and his Buttercup (played by Robin Wright) as they prove that the course of true love never does run smooth, but can be very entertaining! The Dread Pirate Roberts, the Six Fingered Man and an early appearance by Mandy Patinkin (who played Gideon in Criminal Minds) provide many a humorous moment. It’ll have you kissing your sweetheart with gusto for days to come, as well as whirling around in the grocery store boldly declaring “you killed my father…prepare to die!”
Connect With Cupid...