It’s almost that time of the year for holiday lights, family time, presents and, of course, mistletoe. Bridal magazines publish holiday specials, romance is thriving and a diamond ring makes for a great present, so it’s no shocker that ‘tis the season to tie the knot. Don’t be surprised this holiday season when your Facebook feed is flooded with news of engagements. And just like us regular folk, celebrities are quick to say “I do” during the holidays. Check out these five celebrity couples who got engaged during past holiday seasons:
1. LeAnn Rimes and Eddie Cibrian: This couple got together in 2009 while shooting the Lifetime movie Northern Lights. During that time, LeAnn Rimes was married to dancer Dean Sheremet and Cibrian was married to model Brandi Glanville, with whom he has two sons. After their extramarital affair was made public, Rimes and Cibrian became exclusive. ”You had two couples whose marriages didn’t work who really stumbled upon each other and fell in love,” Rimes said in November 2010. Cibrian proposed to Rimes over the 2010 Christmas weekend with a 5-carat diamond ring. The couple tied the knot in April 2011 at a private ceremony in California.
2. Natalie Portman and Benjamin Millepied: Portman not only won the Academy Award for Black Swan but also met her fiancé, the film’s choreographer, on set. The couple got engaged during the 2010 holiday season and, with that announcement, they revealed Portman’s pregnancy. The actress gave birth to their son, Aleph Portman-Millepied, this past June. Although the busy parents have yet to get married, Portman continues to sport her $35,000 conflict-free, eco-friendly engagement ring.
3. Reese Witherspoon and Jim Toth: Toth’s holiday proposal got Witherspoon, once married to Ryan Phillippe and mother of two children, to walk down the aisle for a second time. Toth, once a talent agent for the Creative Artists Agency where Reese Witherspoon is represented, is now one of the agency heads. After getting engaged in December 2010, Witherspoon said, “What I’m finding out is that it’s very comfortable to be with somebody who understands my career, but doesn’t do what I do. He’s a great guy. He’s wonderful.” The couple got married in March 2011 at Witherspoon’s country estate in Ojai, California.
4. Lily Allen and Sam Cooper: Cooper popped the question to Allen last year at sunset on Christmas Day. The couple was vacationing in Bali when Cooper got down on one knee, on their hotel balcony overlooking the Indian Ocean, and proposed to the surprised singer. The engagement came after a sad time for the couple when Allen miscarried in November of 2010. The couple wed this past June in Cranham, Gloucestershire, and Allen announced at the wedding breakfast that she and Cooper were expecting a baby. She welcomed a baby girl in November 2011.
5. KT Tunstall and Luke Bullen: Scottish singer, KT Tunstall, began dating Luke Bullen, the drummer of her band, in 2003. On Christmas morning in 2007, Tunstall was surprised to find Bullen at her door with an engagement ring in a ribbon-wrapped box. He had asked her parents for permission a month earlier and had support from her brother the night before over drinks in Edinburgh. Tunstall couldn’t contain her Christmas Day excitement and wrote about the engagement on her website: “I’m tempted to be really sad and post a pic of my ring – it’s gorgeous! Keep an eye out for a little sparkle as I’m playing those chords…” The couple got hitched on the Isle of Skye in September 2008.
What’s the best way to propose over the holidays? Let us know by commenting below.
Connect With Cupid...