By Brea Gunn
Not every woman is cut out for a big Kim Kardashian-style bash for her big day. Many would prefer a quick and discrete elopement, much like Tara Reid’s wedding. So, what’s a girl to do? And how do you decide what’s the right choice for you?
Let’s take a look at things objectively for a minute. If you have a large family (and, wow, Kim K. does), then you have to examine how many people you’re comfortable inviting to your celebration. If you have dreams of being a princess, a big traditional ceremony is just the thing for you.
Kim Kardashian’s ceremony was just about as close to a fairy tale wedding as you can get…without actually being a royal. Between the three costume changes, black and white color scheme, and nearly 400 guests, she wowed the guests with glitz and glam.
Here are four things to consider about a large, traditional ceremony:
1. The size of the guest list: A traditional ceremony and venue will allow you to invite all of your family and friends, including those that you don’t see too often.
2. The ability to change outfits multiple times: I loved all three of Kim’s dresses. She looked fantastically glam, and because she was in a traditional setting (most likely with a dressing room), she was comfortable changing outfits.
3. Knowing your vendors: If you get married locally, there’s word-of-mouth to rely on. I don’t know many of us out there with a direct line to Vera Wang, but you should totally get the number of that amazing caterer that your friend had at her wedding.
4. Help: I cannot stress how important it is to get good help. It can be hard to find, unless you have family close at hand. Plus, you need to have someone there to help lace you into your gown.
Now, if a large, lavish affair just isn’t your thing, you may want to consider elopement. Take Tara Reid and her whirlwind romance. One minute she’s engaged, and the next second (okay, it was actually more like two hours), she’s married! Thanks to Twitter, her family probably got the news the same way the rest of the world did. And eloping is just the thing if you aren’t into all kinds of fussiness. It’s quick, discrete and you can invite people…if you want. It’s totally up to you. With an elopement, you have far less to worry about than with a big ceremony. Here are some things to consider:
1. Destination: You could go to the courthouse, I suppose, but it really wouldn’t be much fun. So let’s think bigger, like Tara Reid. Greece? Jamaica? Hawaii? There are lots of beautiful destinations out there from which to choose.
2. Guests: Beyond the location you get married, you have to think about whether you want to truly elope with no attendees, or have a few close friends and family fly in for the occasion.
3. Pack: After you make your travel plans, all you have to do is pack your bags and go. Quick, easy, and no fuss. Just be sure to bring a camera!
Whether you choose to be a bride like Kim Kardashian and live out your fantasy princess wedding, or you just want to get away and tie the knot with no chaos like Tara Reid, that’s a choice that’s totally yours. Whatever you choose, it’ll be a day you will never forget.
Connect With Cupid...